Materials & Metallurgical services offered by WEL include the failure analysis of materials as well as metallurgical analysis support for our Fire Origin & Cause Investigations.
Our engineers have undergone extensive training and have over 25 years of experience. We will investigate the failed component in the field, whether it’s a machinery/equipment failure or fire, or simply provide analytical services for evidence/items sent to our facility for examination in our metallographic laboratory to determine the significant features and points of interest for more in-depth metallurgical investigations.
WEL has the equipment to obtain the needed specimen which will be carefully and professionally prepared by mounting in epoxy, grinding, polishing and etching. Metallurgical analysis will be documented to produce reports that clearly show the systematic examination findings, the mode of failure and the scientific conclusions.
- Analysis of corrosion, wear, ductile, brittle and fatigue fractures and failures.
- Analysis of electrical and fire effects: electrical arcing, melting and eutectic melting.
- Microstructural characterization: type, grain size, orientation, inclusion content and decarburization.
- Photography and fractography.
- Porosity, including dezincification.
- Plating/coating/case thickness and evaluations.
- Macro-etching and micro-etching.
- Stress Corrosion Cracking.
- X-Ray testing